Pre-Owned Safety Recall Process in Memphis, TN
Chuck Hutton Toyota obtains pre-owned cars and trucks from many different sources. Pre-owned vehicles come to us as trade-ins, auctions, lease turn-ins, or outright purchases from the public. We at Chuck Hutton Toyota take safety very serious and we make it a priority when any of our pre-owned vehicles have open safety recalls. Our process is as follows to help ensure our customer’s safety and confidence in purchasing a pre-owned vehicle at Chuck Hutton Toyota. This process applies to all pre-owned vehicles at Chuck Hutton, not just those with a Toyota logo.
- All VIN numbers are checked on safercar.gov site and/or against each manufacturer’s recall site at the time we obtain each pre-owned vehicle.
- All pre-owned Toyota’s with an open safety recall (*provided there are available parts and remedies) are repaired at Chuck Hutton Toyota’s service department. All other brands are sent out to their respective authorized dealerships to be repaired.
- Each pre-owned vehicle that passes our inspection and is made available to the public for resale has a Carfax folder in the car with a copy of the CarFax Report and a copy of the completed repair order for the open recall.
- We are a proud CARFAX Advantage Dealer as well, meaning every pre-owned vehicle in our inventory has a free CarFax report available online or in person.
What is "Remedy Not Yet Avaiable"?
- When a pre-owned vehicle falls under the “Remedy Not Yet Available” status, all customers interested in buying said vehicle will be notified and asked to sign a “Pre-Owned Vehicle Buyer Disclosure Form” acknowledging that this vehicle will have an open recall once the manufacturer has a remedy available.
If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to stop by our Chuck Hutton Toyota dealership at 4601 Hutton Way, Memphis, TN 38116 and speak with a member of our team. We understand how important your vehicle is to you, and we are here to assist you in any way we can.
*The above process applies to open safety recalls with a “Remedy Available” status only. Some recalls are announced as future recalls or have an “Interim or Remedy Not Yet Available” status.
Some older, high mileage vehicles are sold "AS-IS" or “Wholesale to the Public”. These vehicles have not been checked by the dealer and have no expressed warranty whatsoever. Recalls may or may not have been completed on these vehicles and can be purchased “AS IS”. Disclosure forms must also be signed for these vehicles as well acknowledging they have “open safety recalls.”